Each year, the Wellington City Council allocates funding to assist people in Wellington city who are in need of emergency assistance.
The Council does this in partnership with a service organisation - and currently The Wellington City Mission manages this fund.
The value of the Mayoral Relief Fund is $20,000 annually. This is currently allocated across food bank expenses and other emergency services.
Examples of emergencies the fund may cover include:
- power or gas disconnected, with young children living at the property.
- tenancy eviction - emergency accommodation required.
- family or personal crisis.
- unable to buy food as a result of an emergency.
- homelessness as a result of an emergency.
- Applicants must be residents of the Wellington city rate paying area.
- All applicants will be assessed individually.
- Applicants must complete an application form and provide proof of need, such as an eviction letter, a letter confirming that power has been disconnected, letters of refusal for advances from Work and Income, or proof of unexpected expenditures.
If you feel you qualify for Mayoral Relief Fund emergency support, please complete this Mayoral Relief Fund Application Form and deliver it to The Mission at 200 Riddiford Street, Newtown, Wellington with proof of your emergency (as listed on the form).
For any further information about the Mayoral Relief Fund, please feel free to contact:
Community Programmes Manager
Phone: 04 245 0829